Sunday, May 9, 2010

On this Mother's Day...

A few thoughts have been swimming around in my head so I thought I would take a stab at blogging them...mine is usually a picture (mostly) blog.  On this Mother's Day I have felt impressed to share a few thoughts on a couple of mother's that are on my mind a lot this week. 

The first one is Mandy.  She is often the unsung hero in our story.  She is so soft spoken and reserved, so spiritual and unassuming sometimes I think "did you make sure Mandy knows how much you love and appreciate her?".  Most recently she moved away from a family that she is very close to and fairly large.  And yet when she visits she makes sure to include some time for us.  She does not have to do this, it would be very understandable given how much she misses the family she has never lived apart from.  Mandy is one the best examples of selflessness  that I can think of.  A memory that I think of often is after Kayden was born.  Mandy and I were in the nursery trying to get Kayden to eat to get his blood sugar up.  I looked at her and said "arent you so excited?"  I could see the trepidation and pain on her face as she expressed to me how hard it was to be excited knowing the pain Meghan was going through.  At that moment in perfect clarity a scripture popped into my mind and has stayed with me ever since, "and are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light; Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea and comfort those that stand in need of comfort".  Even in Mandy's extreme joy she put Meghan's feelings of mourning first.  What greater attribute could a mother have?  I can truly say, Mandy's joy was our joy, our pain was Mandy's pain.  What a wonderful compassionate woman.  As a mother myself there is no greater thing on this earth then when other's love your children in this way.  Mandy, we love and cherish you with all our heart.

The second mom I would like to talk about is mine.  I remember a few years ago I said to her "all this is almost over, they are grown and I am done".  She smiled and said "Really, you think so?", (actually I believe she chuckled a little).  She informed me the worry never lessens, the concern and love only grows and extends to grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  Boy was she right!  When I think about it, she has been right about many things.  My life has not been without many struggles that in turn put many stuggles in my mom's life.  She has bore them all, she has been a great example to me of unconditional love that as a mother I hope I have shown my children. Happy Mother's day mom, your love and encouragment have always been unwavering.