Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day


Serving our country is no stranger to our family.  My grandfather served in WWII, my father in Veitnam, an Uncle who gave his life in Vietnam, and cousins in Iraq.  Now my son in Afghanistan. 

When my boys were younger I received a blessing that talked about how proud of my country I would one day be.  A few years later a thought came to me that one or more of my boys would serve our country, hence the reason for my strong feelings of love for our country. 

Right now my son is putting his life on the line for our freedoms as many other sons have and are doing.  Kasey talked of joining the army soon after high school.  Needless to say I was not all for it.  As time went on I saw that it was not a bad direction for him to go in.  I felt peace knowing that he would be making a difference and in turn bettering his life and the Lord would be looking after him. 

Basic was amazing.  I saw my boy turn into a man.  Then it was on to Germany, what an adventure.  I was excited for him to see places he might otherwise never see.  Then the orders for Afghanistan came....up until this time I followed the news and events there with a watchful eye and listened to all the news coming out of there.  Now my son was there.  I could no longer listen to any news as it struck fear into my heart.  My precious son is in the middle of this, where did that peace I had felt go??  What I have learned from this is just how important prayer is.  To pray for our soldiers, not only my son but every family who's sons are serving.  I pray for them to have saftey, wisdom and love for one another and the people they are helping.  I give thanks that because of their service we enjoy the freedoms we have.  I have to say, it's been so much harder then I could have ever anticipated but I'm blessed to be able to be in almost constant contact with him and he assures me that everything is alright...in return I'm able to assure him how much we love him, miss him and are so very proud of him.  I could have included many more pictures of him but these two have some meaning to me.  The first shows the sacrafice under not such great conditions.  The second shows comradery.  These soldiers have each other's backs and build incredible bonds.

Yes, even though family have served our country in years past and present my son has brought a whole new meaning to Veteran's Day for me.  May all our soldiers past and present feel our gratitued and thanks, without them our country would not be the great country it is!

Kasey, we love you and look forward to your coming home safe and sound!